The order of State Academy of Fine Arts of Armenia on the tuition fee refund as student allowance and provision of state scholarship is based (look here for the complete document) on the laws of the Republic of Armenia for “Education”, “Higher and Post-graduate Vocational Education” and the annex of “The Order for Providing Student Allowances and State Scholarships at Higher Education Institutions of the Republic of Armenia” to the RA Government Decision dated July 27, 2006, №1183 – Ն.
The order defines the procedures and conditions of State Academy of Fine Arts of Armenia on tuition fee full refund provided by the State, (rotation) and partial refund (tuition fee discount) provided by the institution as Student Allowances and the order of providing state scholarships.
Tuition fee full refund as student allowance provided by the state
Tuition fee full refund as student allowance is provided to students upon successful completion of one academic year and high performance of examinations and tests, without any fails, (on competitive basis), those enrolled in the target specialties of state priority and significance or to the following social groups defined by the law:
- Students left without parental care and the individuals belonging to their group according to the law of the Republic of Armenia on “Social Protection of the Children Left Without Parental Care”,
- Individuals with disabilities of 1st and 2nd groups and those having status of a disabled child according to the law of the Republic of Armenia on “Social Protection of Disabled People in the Republic of Armenia ”,
- Former servicemen receiving military pension for disability of 1st or 2nd groups caused while performing their duties on mandatory military service as well as the children of deceased servicemen under the age of 27 according to the law of the Republic of Armenia on “Military Service and the Status of Serviceman”.
The students left without parental care and the individuals belonging to their group as well as the students-children of deceased serviceman are provided with student allowances starting from the 1st year of their studies up to the end of the programme, and those students with disability of 1st and 2nd groups or having the status of disabled child or students who became disabled during their mandatory military service upon submitting relevant documents are provided with student allowances at the beginning of the 1st year of their studies, that is subject to be reviewed at the end of each academic year.
The Government annually allocates the number of student allowances that is transferred from year to year, granted by the state to higher education institutions within the frames of the state budget of the given year, according to HEIs and professions. Full or partial refund of tuition fee as student allowance to first-year students is provided to the individuals enrolled in HEI by the established order of state HEIs of the Republic of Armenia on admissions. In the following years of studies, tuition fee full refund as student allowance is provided to students having demonstrated the highest academic performance as a result of examinations and tests of one academic year, on competitive basis. As a result of examinations and tests of the academic year in case of equal conditions, and in case of equal points gathered by two or more students, for the 2nd year, the priority stands for the students having demonstrated higher academic performance as a result of the examination period of the second semester of the first year, as for students of the following study years, the priority is given to the students with the best results of the previous ac. year, and in case of the latter’s equality, the priority will be given to students having demonstrated a higher academic performance as a result of examinations and tests of the preceding academic year.
The calculation of results of examinations and tests of the given academic year (rotation) is carried out by the SAFAA Office of Registrar till 5th of September. Final lists of students, provided by the Academic registrar, eligible for tuition fee full refund, are introduced to the Rotation Commission. In order to carry out the rotation, a commission is formed by Rector’s decree, presided by the Rector himself or vice-rector. The commission is comprised of the following members: chief accountant, lawyer, deans of faculties, president of trade union, president of student council, head of academic affairs division and person in charge in academic registrar for accepting discount applications, as well as other staff members by Rector’s decree.
The lists of students eligible for tuition fee full refund are discussed by the commission for rotation; minutes of the session is mandatory to be signed by all commission members that is issued the other day. The student has the right to appeal the results of rotation. Upon summarizing the results of appeal, the lists of students eligible for tuition fee full refund are introduced to the Rector’s decree and published.
Tuition fee partial refund as student allowance provided by the state
The state annually allocates tuition fee partial refund as student allowance by RA Ministry of Education and Science to students exceeding the minimum threshold of average grade point and students registered in the system for family disadvantage assessment, the following groups with higher point of social disadvantage defined by the Government of the Republic of Armenia each year:
- Students - members of the families exceeding the threshold of social disadvantage up to 5 points; 50% of tuition fee
- Students - members of the families exceeding the threshold of social disadvantage with 5-10 points; 60% of tuition fee
- Students - members of the families exceeding the threshold of social disadvantage with 10-15 points; 70% of tuition fee
- Students - members of the families exceeding the threshold of social disadvantage with 15-20 points; 80% of tuition fee
- Students - members of the families exceeding the threshold of social disadvantage with more than 20 points; 100% of tuition fee
The minimum threshold of student’s average grade point is established annually by RA Ministry of Education and Science. In order to receive a tuition fee partial refund as student allowance allocated by the State, student should submit a certificate stating the point of his family social disadvantage issued by the local bodies providing social services on family disadvantage point, annually, before 10th of September of the given year. The students enrolled in HEIs to the 1st year study programme according to the established order and with a higher threshold point of family social disadvantage are granted with student allowances according to the stipulated amount size and procedure in case they exceed the relevant threshold for competitive admission examination.
Partial refund of tuition fee as student allowance is granted by the State to the following categories of students from the communities, receiving social support included in the annex №1 to the Decision №1444-Ն of RA Government dated December 18, 2014, as well as those who are registered and have been permanently residing for the latest 5 years and completed secondary education in the given community including Berd community of Tavush province:
- Students having excellent academic performance by the results of examinations and tests of one academic year, 60 % of tuition fee,
- Regardless of the progress, 30% of tuition fee.
Accepting documents to SAFAA for tuition fee partial refund as student allowance
The applications for tuition fee discount of first-year students of MA and BA programmes, are accepted within two weeks prior to the start of the 2nd semester of their studies and two weeks after that. The applications for tuition fee discount of students from other years, are accepted within two weeks prior to the start of the 1st semester of the given academic year and two weeks after that. The Office of Registrar in SAFAA accepts the applications for tuition fee discounts and the attached documents.
SAFAA provides partial refund of tuition fees as student allowance from its own resources for at least ten percent of the students who study in a fee-paid education system. This comprises at least seven percent of the budget formed by tuition fees and is allocated based on the student’s high academic performance and social group he/she belongs to. Students with the following status can apply for tuition fee partial refund as student allowance:
- Socially disadvantaged students (from families having high threshold point), at least 30 percent,
- Students left without parental care after the age of 18 - until they attain the age of 23, at least 50 percent,
- Students deprived of one of the parents and under the age of 23, at least 50 percent,
- Students with the children under the age of one year, at least 50 percent,
- Students from families having three and more juveniles or three or more student-children, at least 30 percent,
- Group 1 or group 2 disabled individuals, including students who have a disabled parent freedom fighter, at least 30 percent,
- Students who have passed mandatory military service in the units performing military duties, at least 30 percent,
- Students who have participated in the four-day war, at least 50 percent,
- Socially disadvantaged students (from families having a higher point than 0 in the system for family disadvantage assessment) at least 20 percent,
- Students having a better progress within two semesters who deprived the right to student allowance with 0.1 point in the competition for tuition fee partial refund, at least 50 percent,
- Syrian-Armenian students, up to 50 percent,
- Students holding other status defined by State Academy of Fine Arts of Armenia,
In case the student belongs to more than one category, he/she can benefit only from the one that has the highest percentage of partial refund. Here are the main documents to be attached to the application and submitted based on student’s status:
- an application to the Rector,
- paper on academic performance,
- copy of birth certificate,
- copies of health certificates provided by medical, expert commission,
- copy of certificate confirming disability,
- certificate issued by the Ministry of Defence or its copy,
- copy of adoption certificate,
- copy of custody documents,
- copy of divorce certificate,
- copy of a single mother’s certificate,
- copy (copies) of death certificate of the parent(s),
- copy of the verdict
Copies of all the above mentioned documents are to be submitted with originals, on the condition of returning them immediately upon review.
State scholarship provided to SAFAA students
State scholarship is a state financial encouragement. Students can benefit from state scholarship in case they demonstrate excellent and good academic performance, social activeness, proper behaviour, (also being the winners of professional contest-competitions, in case of art institutions), as well as to those who are target students, among them students from borderline or highland settlements. The indicators characterizing students’ social activeness are:
- participation in social, student activities of the faculty and the institution,
- reports, abstracts, published works (in scientific journals and Mass Media)
- participation in inter-institutional, urban, state and international competitions, olympiads, student scientific sessions, student group construction works,
- other social and creative initiatives based on institution’s choice.
The number and amount of state scholarships is established annually by the Government of the Republic of Armenia within the frames of financial means foreseen by the State budget of the given year for Higher Education Institutions. State scholarship provision to the student is reviewed at the end of each academic year. The student is deprived of state scholarship in case he/she doesn’t meet the stipulated requirements. The student deprived of state scholarship may be included in the system of student allowances in case he/she meets the requirements.
Left state scholarships are awarded to other students on competitive basis. The student who has interrupted his education (enrolled in mandatory military service, on academic leave for health problems, pregnancy and childbirth, as well as care for a child under the age of 3) retains the former right for receiving a scholarship in case of resumption of his/her education (within the frames of the total number of scholarship holders foreseen by the state budget of the Republic of Armenia).
The process of allocating state scholarships is implemented by the university. Higher education institution can provide nominal scholarships from its own resources. SAFAA sets the following priorities for state scholarship provision:
a) Study privileges are applied for:
- Students with 1st or 2nd group disability or with a status of disabled child according to the law on the “Social Protection of Disabled People in Armenia”, adopted on April 14, 1993,
- Students left without parental care and belonging to their group according to the law on “Social Protection of Children Left Without Parental Care”, adopted on September 24, 2002,
- Former servicemen entitled to receive military pension of 1st or 2nd group disability caused while performing duties on mandatory military service as well as the children of deceased servicemen under the age of 27 according to the law of the Republic of Armenia on the “Status of Military Service and Servicemen”,
- Targeted students among them students form borderline or highland settlements, as well as foreign students enrolled by inter-state contracts.
b) Students having demonstrated excellent and good academic performance, social activeness, proper behaviour, on competitive basis, from the means provided by RA State budget for higher education institutions.
Faculty of Fine Arts
Dean: Prof. Edik Vardanyan
Phone: (+37410) 58 07 86
Faculty of Design and Decorative Applied Arts
Dean: Prof. Avetiq Avetisyan
Phone: (+37410) 54 36 71
Department of Finance and Logistics
Accountant: Gohar Barseghyan
Phone: (+37410) 56 21 34
Head: Hasmik Makvetsyan
Phone: (+37410) 54 27 06